RO means reverse osmosis which is a process used to remove bad contaminants from water by passing it through a semi-permeable membrane by using pressure or force.
But when RO is done, beside bad contaminants like pesticides, bacteria, chemicals, heavy metals and pharmaceuticals some of essential minerals like Calcium, Magnesium and some other trace minerals also get removed.
Why Do We Need To Remineralize Ro Water
Remineralization of ro water means adding some minerals content back to water especially calcium, magnesium and other trace minerals which get removed during reverse osmosis.
There are following reasons that encourage us for this
1. Adding minerals back to water:
This process adds all essential minerals back to water that are missing after RO. If our water does not contain all essential minerals then it can make serious deficiency of minerals leading to serious health issues.
Minerals missing in RO water are
- Calcium is one of the most common minerals found in our body and made about 2% of our body. It is found commonly in teeth, bones and plays an important role in regulation of enzymes, bones strength and muscles contraction and blood clotting. So a little deficiency of calcium can cause serious bone weakness, fractures and osteoporosis mostly common in females.
- Magnesium plays a role of cofactor in more than 300 enzymes and helps to regulate different biochemical reactions in the human body. Its deficiency can cause serious cramps, loss of appetite, disturbance in rhythm of heart and changes in personality.
- Trace minerals:
- Some other trace minerals like copper, fluorine, iodine, iron deficiency also cause anemia, fatigue and poor digestion
2. Quench our thirst effectively:
When all the essential minerals are present in our water then we can quench our thirst quickly and effectively by drinking a glass of healthier and mineralized water.
3. Better taste:
By remineralisation of ro water, water taste becomes good for drinking purposes. Because the missing minerals added back to water that not only make it healthier but also tastier
In short, it’s necessary to remineralize water after reverse osmosis. Because all minerals get back into water which keeps the body healthy and in balance.
Ways To Remineralise Ro Water
There are following ways or methods to go through this process effectively and efficiently. Here, we are going to describe you one-by-one.
1. Ro System With A Mineral Filter
The easiest and quickest way to remineralize ro water is by using a RO system fitted in with an extra stage where Post-filter sends back a little amount of minerals into water. You don’t need to do any extra effort, RO system will do it for you.
These are affordable and you can find them easily in markets for you but do not forget to check there stages of treatment for water that either they are adding back essential minerals to the water or not. You can find them easily in supermarket and online also.
APEC Water Systems ROES-50 5-Stage
iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage Under Sink RO System
Best for Under Sink
Home Master Artesian Water Filtration System
Best for Drinking Water
Most of the RO system add calcium and magnesium back to water, while some add almost 5 essential minerals back to water and some add only 1 mineral. Its vary on the kind of RO system with a mineral filter you want to buy!!
Always try to replace your old mineral filter with new one in your RO system after the expiry date instructed by manufacturers
2. Trace Mineral Drops For Remineralisation
Trace mineral drops are one of the most reliable thing to use and gives minerals back into your reverse osmosis water. It contains the extracts and concentrates of minerals that’s why they are also known as Electrolyte Blends. They are very easy to use and find in market so many people choose this way for remineralization of water
How to use them?
Trace drop minerals are easy to use because you just need to drop them in water and they will dissolve in it, instantaneously. They come in variety of flavors. They can be found either in tablet form or powder form. They add different kind of minerals and trace minerals to your water.
Amount to use:
You have to add a few drops of trace mineral drops in the water gallon and all is done. But for exact no. of drops you can read them on the label of your bottle. Instead of adding drops in the water glass you are taking, collectively remineralise your water by adding drops at once in a water gallon. You can use your trace mineral drops bottle of regular size up to 200 gallons.
They are so cheap and affordable. So many people choose them, but some drops may require a bit more dollars depending on the brand you choose.
Where to buy them?:
There availability is common and you can find them in super markets in a variety of brands and flavors with different prices and also on social media or online shopping portals like amazon, Alibaba.com and many more.
3. Addition Of Mineral Salts
Mineral salts provide all necessary minerals back to your water after reverse osmosis is done. Salts like rock salt, dead sea salt or Himalayan salt can fulfill your mineral requirement after they dissolve into water. Always buy fine salt then you don’t need to be worried about salty taste after dissolving.
- You just need to add a pinch in glass or one tablespoon to a gallon of your water.
- Easy to find them in the market.
- Very cheap and inexpensive.
- Provide a range of trace minerals and your body immune system gets strong.
- It also improves the taste of water.
You can’t add table salt for remineralization of ro water because table salt is rich in sodium. Excess amounts of sodium can cause unhealthy issues like high blood pressure, calcium loss, heart issues.
4. Use an alkaline water pitcher
We can simply use an alkaline water pitcher to add minerals back to water or maintain the pH level of water. In this process, you just need to pour water and the filter present on the upside of the pitcher simply adds essential minerals to your drinking water.
- They need to change cartridges on a regular basis whenever they are used.
- They are expensive rather than mineral salts and mineral drops.
- Convenient for use.
- Availability in market.
- They are favorable to those who just need to get minerals in water by pouring them simple through mineral filter pitchers.
5. Add green powders
Green powder also refer to super green blend because it’s a mixture of fruits, vegetables, minerals, vitamins and herbs which is rich in minerals, vitamins and other nutrients. It’s an organic mixture extract from plants and vegetables.
- It may change the taste of water so some people don’t want to add them in water but their benefits encourage you anyway to use them.
- It provides all essential minerals, vitamins and other nutrients also make your drinking water energetic.
- They are affordable and available in market.
So, there are so many ways for the remineralization of ro water. Now it’s up to you which one you use or which is more convenient to you. But hope these methods seems reliable to you!!